[ltp] Ubuntu 6.06 Xorg cpu usage spikes

nate linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:40:59 -0500

I don't know where else to look, but lately Ubuntu 6.06 has been acting
up on my laptop. Most things I can live with- having to run 'pmi action
sleep' to suspend, my wireless card sometimes being lost on wake from
suspend (rmmod, then modprobe ipw2100), evolution being slow to
recognize a new wireless connection (xkill and re-open), firefox
freezing on some websites (they're probably not standards compliant
anyway).

But recently after using the computer for a while (24 hours current
uptime) Xorg starts to use lots of cpu. Usually the first thing I notice
is my mouse stutters or scrolling line by line up/down in vim will be
much slower. Then whenever I do the most trivial task, like moving a
console window around, the window will jerk or stutter as it's moving
and cpu usage goes up to about 90%. What can fix it is restarting gdm.

I can't identify any changes that I made to the system that caused it to
start doing this. I've been using this install for a few months without
this problem.

I must not be the only person with this problem, and I bet there is a
forum post about it somewhere, but I can't find it. Can anyone point me
to something that might help?

Thanks,
Nathan