[ltp] Re: What's cutting my CPU speed in half?

John Sullivan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 14:00:48 -0500

"Igor V. Rafienko" <igorr+tp@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> on Nov 16, 2006, 10:32, John Sullivan wrote:
>

> [ ... CPU throttling ]
>
> The BIOS on my thinkpad had its own mind regarding perfomance. There is an
> option in there which sets performance to maximum while on AC/Battery. This
> way, the BIOS will not interfere, and whichever governor you are using will do
> its job.

A few people have recommended this, and I tried it -- I set all available
options to Maximum Performance. I still only got 50% of my CPU speed when I
booted on battery power.

What are people doing with the "Intel SpeedStep" setting in the BIOS? I have
experimented with a few combinations, including disabling the whole section,
but I still see the same behavior.

--
-John Sullivan
-http://www.wjsullivan.net