[ltp] hibernate problems with recent Fedora kernels and radeonfb on T40

George Avrunin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 18 Nov 2006 21:35:03 -0500

--Sig_.d=koJnAH4ZCUI7rogS6G4X

I have a T40 that's now a bit over 3 years old.  With the last couple of FC
5 kernels, I found that if I built a mkinitrd with the radeonfb in order to
reduce power consumption while suspended, I couldn't resume after
hibernating. Today I installed FC6 to see if that solved the problem.

It doesn't.  On resuming from hibernation, the display ends up showing the
following (in the smaller type of the radeonfb).  (In the second line, the
characters after the equal signs have dots printed over them and are hard
to read; the 0x0a may be wrong. And the third line is pretty much
illegible.)

Disabling non-boot CPUs ...
Stopping tasks =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D<6>IBM Trackpoint firmware: 0x0a, buttons:=
 3/3=20
[Can't read this line]
Shrinking memory... done (0 pages freed)
Read 427676 kbytes in 21.59 seconds (19.80 MB/s)
pnp: Device 00:0a disabled.
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 000:02:00.1 disabled
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 000:02:00.0 disabled
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 000:00:1d.7 disabled
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 000:00:1d.2 disabled
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 000:00:1d.1 disabled
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 000:00:1d.1 disabled

The machine is hung at this point and I have to use the power button to
halt it and then reboot.  With the FC 5 kernels, I was only seeing up to the
"pnp: Device 00:0a disabled." line.  According to lspci, the 000:00:1d
devices are USB controllers and the 000:02:00 devices are Cardbus bridges. =
=20

I haven't checked on FC6, but on FC5 the radeonfb did substantially reduce
the power consumption while suspended, but I could hibernate and resume if
I didn't load radeonfb into the initrd.  Before the last two FC5 kernels, I
could build an initrd with radeonfb and be able to suspend and hibernate. =
=20

I've tried to search the archives of this group and the Fedora mailing
lists and have google'd on the pnp error message, but I haven't found
anything that helped.  I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

  George