[ltp] X60s overheating??

Pau Fernández linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 21 Nov 2006 11:37:03 +0100

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying a ThinkPad X60s, in which I plan to run Ubuntu
Edgy all the time. I think I am not totally a newbie so all the prior
messages about battery life, C-states and the like are really welcome
in advance (this is a really useful list).

However, I haven't found much about the heat problems in this laptop,
even when some reviews in PC Magazine (I believe they were talking
about the Tablet version) say it runs "a little warm". Also, in this
review:

http://www.josesandoval.com/2006/05/thinkpad-x60s-review.html

it is said that the cover gets hot enough to be somewhat unconfortable
(depending on the person, of course). I actually returned a
Uniwill-manufactured laptop assembled by a local company
(www.ahtec.es) because the heat problems where quite unbearable (made
the laptop almost unusable), so I'm now a bit sensitive to this issues
(ok... maybe I'm a bit more sensitive than average...).

By the way, a previous thread in this same mailing list also shows
that "laptop-mode" can help in reducing the temperature of the
hard-disk:

http://www.nabble.com/X60s%3A-Heat%2C-power-management%2C-battery-tf1931406.html#a5314628

All in all, my questions are these:

- What is your experience with this laptop's "design". Does it get
uncomfortably hot to touch the cover, and use the keyboard, as some of
these testimonies suggest?

- I've even seen someone blaming the wireless card for the heat
problems (couldn't find the link now), so I guess we have the CPU
itself, the hard disk and the wireless card as possible "suspects".
What are your opinions on this??

- Do you think this laptop can be used comfortably while the CPU is at
100% (maybe it's not its normal function, but I occasionally may have
to run long simulations in this thing). What is your experience on CPU
intensive performance??

- Do you recommend an alternative within the ThinkPad line for someone
concerned about heat problems? I've also been flirting with the T60,
the lightest one (I think it is about 2kg or 5lbs., far from the X60
though)... Any suggestions??

Thanks a lot in advance,
Pau