[ltp] Booting problem after install of Ubuntu Alternative 6.10 on X41 Tablet

Wed, 22 Nov 2006 20:26:41 -0800

---- "Tony K." <tony.kruse@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have used GParted Live CD to create space to install Linux.  The
> partitions looked like...
>
> /dev/sda1 ~26GB Windows XP installed
> unallocated space ~25GB
> /dev/sda2 ~4GB (Restore and Recovery)
>
> I used Ubuntu 6.10 Alternative CD to install Ubuntu on the unallocated
> space.  During the Grub boot loading process I told it not to use MBR
> but to install in /dev/sda3 instead.
>
> After installation, when it rebooted was not able to detect *ANY* OS
> (including Windows).
It sounds like your ntfs partition is not set active.
Search on the web for boot disks and after booting from
a ntffs floppy, see if you can get a directory off of the
ntfs partition.
Your xp install cd can also be used in rescue mode
to do the same thing.

> At present my partition table looks like...
> /dev/sda1 ntfs ~26GB (windows)
> /dev/sda3 ext3 ~25GB
> /dev/sda4 extended ~1GB
>     /dev/sda5 linux-swap ~1GB
> unallocated ~6.5 MB
> /dev/sda2 fat32 (restore and recovery)
>
> Shouldn't I still be able to boot into Windows?  Can I rescue my
> Windows install?
As a last resort you could reinstall ubuntu 6.10, a really great package
by the way, only this time put grub on the MBR.
I have done this several times with no problems at all.
You can edit grub later to make xp the default boot
although I can't begin to understand why anyone would
want to do that.