[ltp] 240X questions.

Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 23 Nov 2006 16:56:00 -0500

On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 21:05 +0000, cloakable wrote:
> I've found a 240X on eBay, and I'm planning on buying it.

> However, I have a few questions.

> Thinkwiki says I should be able to fit a type IIb mini-pci wifi card in there.
> Has anyone done this? And how?

I had a 240X for a while, but never tried to install internal wireless.
Using a PCMCIA wireless card worked fine, though.

> What is the largest HDD you can fit?

I used a 40GB drive with no problems.

> I'm planning on installing Xubuntu 6.06, though does anyone have any other
> recommendations?

Other that "avoid the 240X because the limit of 192MB of main memory is
too small even for a good Xubuntu experience", no.

The original Thinkpad 240 (no X) *can* be upgraded to 320MB of main
memory - which makes for a little better experience, even though the
processor's slower.

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <rick@rickandpatty.com>
*  Web: http://www.rickandpatty.com
* Blog: http://shrimpandgrits.rickandpatty.com