[ltp] 240X questions.

Sascha Heid linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 23 Nov 2006 23:23:31 +0100

> On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 21:05 +0000, cloakable wrote:
> > I've found a 240X on eBay, and I'm planning on buying it.
>
> > However, I have a few questions.
>
> > Thinkwiki says I should be able to fit a type IIb mini-pci wifi card in there.
> > Has anyone done this? And how?

I have put a minipci wlan card into my 240 (no X).
There seem to be 2 different sizes, and in the 240 there is not enough
room for the bigger ones that are deeper (same width and thickness). I
have a prism2 (54MBit) card in my X21 that is bigger (deeper) and
would not fit into the 240 where i have the smaller 11MBit intel wlan
card built in.

> > What is the largest HDD you can fit?

I use a 80GB drive and im pretty certain that with linux any size
would work but i dont know about windows (oh wait you said ubuntu, so
no worries).
AFAIK linux does not care if the bios can handle the size, it does it
right itself.

> I used a 40GB drive with no problems.
>
> > I'm planning on installing Xubuntu 6.06, though does anyone have any other
> > recommendations?

I would recommend a different Thinkpad Model, a X21-X24, you get a
more useable resolution (1024x768) on a screen that is not as old and
possibly dimm, a wider range of processor options (from 700MHz to
1.1GHz), more max. RAM (384MB-640MB), a bigger keyboard and still the
whole package is very light and portable.
Also, replacement keyboards and parts (like the hdd-cover) for the 240
are rare on ebay.

Sascha