[ltp] Booting problem after install of Ubuntu Alternative 6.10 on X41 Tablet

Fri, 24 Nov 2006 16:33:16 +0000

Marcin Trybus wrote:

> Second you don't need 1GB swap on a modern distro, unless you have
> 1GB+ RAM. Freaking waste of disk space you'd be better off wasting
> some other way. ;-P

I wish I shared your optimism. I now have a 6 GB swap *file*, which I
use to stop firefox from crashing (out of memory) more than once a
fortnight. Performance is fine, since the memory that has been swapped
out has already been leaked, and will probably never be re-used.

Fortunately, Linux lets you add a swap file when you need it, without
needing to reboot, so just add it if you are about to run out of RAM.
Better than oom_killer anyway!

KDE system monitor applet is good for checking this.

Richard