[ltp] Booting problem after install of Ubuntu Alternative 6.10 on X41 Tablet

Joerg Bruehe linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 26 Nov 2006 12:33:25 +0100

Hi Marcin, all!

Marcin Trybus wrote:
> [[...]]
>=20
> What you need the Alternative CD for anyway? Do you happen to have
> less than 256MB RAM on your X41? ;-) I run Ubuntu myself and the lack
> of "normal" installer annoys me, but not to the point to dabble with
> the alternative. I can't think of any reason _not_ to put grub in MBR.
> Why would you do that?

I personally prefer to have Grub (in old times: same for Lilo) in one of =

my Linux partitions (typically: /boot) just because "that other OS" is=20
less likely to touch it there, should it ever get a chance.

(Yes, I know it is better to install Linux after the other, for that=20
very reason, but still ...   just consider a re-install.)

If I have Grub in my Linux partition, then even a changed MBR does not=20
destroy Grub, and all I need is to set the Linux partition back to "activ=
e".

As regards the "alternative installer":
I am still experimenting with (K)Ubuntu, but from reading an article in=20
the most recent c't (German magazine) I got the impression that the=20
alternative installer gives me more freedom in partitioning. I really=20
want that !
IMHO, the Ubuntu installer (I tried 5.04, as I have that on CD) is not=20
as easy to use (especially for partitioning) as SuSE's Yast, but I will=20
try Kubuntu 6.06 later today - maybe it improved.

>=20
> [[...]]

Regards,
J=F6rg

--=20
Joerg Bruehe  - persoenliche Aeusserung / speaking only for himself
mailto:joerg.bruehe@web.de