[ltp] OT: About third-patry anti-spam protection (some people just don't get it...)

Brian Ronald linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 26 Nov 2006 12:26:35 +0000

--=-syRyARcGUXEJ2JA+Aem2

On Sun, 2006-11-26 at 12:01 +0000, Richard Neill wrote:
> Anyway, I'd like to stop=20
> these scumballs emitting junk and blackening my name in the process.
>=20
> Does SPF work well enough to use? If so, can anyone recommend a
> simple=20
> tutorial on setting it up?=20

It doesn't stop others from emitting junk purporting to be from you.  We
just had a discussion on the merits of various anti-spam techniques on
the UK lugmasters mailing list (only members can read the archive).
There were both proponents and opponents of SPF.  One of the down-sides
is that since not all ISPs use the framework, it's not going to be
effective for all domains.

A balanced view of the down-sides can be seen here:
http://www.openspf.org/objections.html

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/03/email_authentication_spam/
Interesting, this article at The Register suggests that spammers are
quite happy to use SPF themselves.

As for tutorials, unfortunately there are no simple ones.  You'd do best
to look at the web page for your preferred MTA.  I use PostFix, which
has some good info on its site.
--=20
Brian Ronald (Brianetta)            http://www.ppcis.org/
I didn't want to hurt you, but you're pretty when you cry

--=-syRyARcGUXEJ2JA+Aem2

--=-syRyARcGUXEJ2JA+Aem2--