[ltp] Booting problem after install of Ubuntu Alternative 6.10 on X41 Tablet

Joerg Bruehe linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 26 Nov 2006 19:27:02 +0100

Hi!

Marcin Trybus wrote:
>=20
> Joerg Bruehe wrote:
> | (Yes, I know it is better to install Linux after the other, for that
> | very reason, but still ...   just consider a re-install.)
>=20
> I guess it does not matter anymore. You can "fix" Certain Other OS by
> booting from the CD and then it usually works. On the other hand most
> distros (but not Ubuntu) have a rescue mode offering an option to
> restore grub in MBR (or otherwise) that is mercilessly destroyed by
> this operation.

I know, I once needed it with SuSE.

>=20
> [[...]]
>=20
> | As regards the "alternative installer":
> | [[...]]
> | IMHO, the Ubuntu installer (I tried 5.04, as I have that on CD) is
> | not as easy to use (especially for partitioning) as SuSE's Yast, but
> | I will try Kubuntu 6.06 later today - maybe it improved.
>=20
> My goodness! 5.04?!? That was 1.5 years ago, 3 versions behind current
> (6.10)!

I know - but this is on a machine which cannot boot from DVD, even=20
though it has a DVD drive, whereas it can boot from CD.
(I never saw that before !)
I have a 6.10 Ubuntu DVD and a 5.04 CD, so only the second one would=20
boot there.
As Ubuntu is Debian-based, and I want to gain more experience with=20
Debian package tools, I took it as a kind of training to try a 5.04=20
install with subsequent upgrades.
It did not run as smooth as I had hoped, probably due to errors on my=20
side - I canceled it after the upgrade to 5.10, downloaded and burned a=20
Kubuntu 6.06 CD, and used that.

>=20
> Let me put it this way (as a automotive engineer-to-be). You have just
> found on offer for a brand new VW Golf II. (I presume you know the
> current version is Golf V.) You think it has an underpowered engine
> for your needs, so you decide to buy a Golf V Do-It-Yourself Kit.
> Wouldn't it be wise to check the info on Golf V prior to making such a
> decision? ;-)

I understand your example, and I don't contradict you.
My only reason (or excuse ?) is "as an engine hobbyist, I take this as a =

perfect way to have fun and/or training" (which applies just to this=20
special occasion, not in general).

>=20
 > The regular Ubuntu installer uses GParted, which is fine with me. I
 > cannot think of anything needed during installation that cannot be
 > done with it. [[...]]

I reached the partitioning I wanted, I just feel the Yast display gives=20
a better overview.
The Kubuntu install did not give me control over the extended partition, =

though - it created the extended only as large as the two logical ones I =

put into it, did not extend it to the end of the disk. Well, I will get=20
that fixed.

>=20
> If in doubt ask someone that installed 6.10 (or 6.06, which is
> comparable). Haven't you read the notice on Alternative CD? It's for
> experts and people with special needs. You don't have such needs. You
> are just under the impression that you have them. ;-)

If the regular CD gives the same freedom in partitioning as the=20
alternate one, then you are right.

>=20
> Try plain vanilla Ubuntu CD.

I may, if I need to repeat it.

J=F6rg

--=20
Joerg Bruehe  - persoenliche Aeusserung / speaking only for himself
mailto:joerg.bruehe@web.de