[ltp] T60 battery

Carles Pina i Estany linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Nov 2006 08:54:42 +0200

Hello!

On Nov/27/2006, Laurent Gilson wrote:

> Put the other way round: 0.013125 W/MHz vs 0.0125 W/MHz. If the calulation
> takes X MHz (and the RAM is lighting fast or everything is in cache) 600
> MHz is the way to go.

Very interesting! I didn't know the watts used in "low speed" or "high
speed" (yes, I know that I could calculate). Michael what do you think
about it?

If I am using batteries and I need "long duration", I don't compile
kernels :-) Usually I tend to write (and I have one mania: to save
often...) or I just do some program and then I compile "often" (ops,
this is not very good, since to compile using C++ and Qt takes little
long...).

I have two choices (and I know that I can measure... maybe someone
already has done):

a) spindown the hard disk, save to USB pendrive
b) save every some minutes (yes, my mania with vim :-) ), and unload USB
modules

I am also unloading sound card drive and I should with CD-ROM...

> Next point: watch out for a undervolting tool/hack for your CPU. I saw a

I will check... even when usually I don't like this "low level" features
:-)

Anybody has a T60 and has played with undervolting? Which is the
"maximum" duration?

> project aiming to undervolt Yonahs and i think C2D are also targeted. That
> helps a lot.
>

> For the HD: you can go all the way and install a flashbased HD. I did it
> using squashfs, ramfs and a USB-stick, there are other ways.

(I got the pendrive idea from here)

> Or you can install laptopmode. That will spin down your HD for 10-25 min,
> depending on your usage pattern.

I will do it. Yesterday I played a bit with it. Anyway, I have the
"problem" to save often (and I like that when I save, it is really saved
in some place -apart of cache memory :-)  )

Thanks to all!

--
Carles Pina i Estany		GPG id: 0x8CBDAE64
	http://pinux.info	Manresa - Barcelona