[ltp] T60 battery

Laurent Gilson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Nov 2006 08:08:54 +0100

Hello,

>> Put the other way round: 0.013125 W/MHz vs 0.0125 W/MHz. If the
>> calulation
>> takes X MHz (and the RAM is lighting fast or everything is in cache) 600
>> MHz is the way to go.
>
> Very interesting! I didn't know the watts used in "low speed" or "high
> speed" (yes, I know that I could calculate).

I got them from the offical specs posted on the intel site. They are
usually in the "thermal design" part of the white papers.

> a) spindown the hard disk, save to USB pendrive
> b) save every some minutes (yes, my mania with vim :-) ), and unload USB
> modules

The pendrive wins. It may wear out quickly since pendrives can only take
XY writes before giving up. But the number of cycles is very high for
quality flashmemory and even with saving every minute it should last years.

> I am also unloading sound card drive and I should with CD-ROM...

Donīt forget Bluetooth, ethernet, ...

>> Next point: watch out for a undervolting tool/hack for your CPU. I saw a
>
> I will check... even when usually I don't like this "low level" features
> :-)

The CPU-frequency scaling already reduces the voltage. It matches a
voltage to each frequency, lower voltages for lower frequencies. These
voltages are preset by intel and can be reduced even further, depending
the CPU, motherboard, powersupply... The hack/patch for the PentiumM
dothan is foolprof: you can only reduce the voltages, so the worst thing
that can happen is a hard crash.

cu