[ltp] 64-bit Linux on core-2-duo's?

Hamish linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Nov 2006 18:59:51 +0000

--nextPart1976664.9i6fF2BSqQ

On Friday 24 November 2006 13:59, Andrew J. Barr wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 12:49 +0000, Hamie wrote:
> > Is anyone running  a 64bit distribution on a core2duo thinkpad out there
> > yet? If so, which distribution, and what's it like? Any problems (Beyond
> > no flash on web pages)?
>
> I run Debian unstable amd64 on a Core 2 Duo Intel Desktop Board machine.
> It seems much faster than 32-bit...especially for stuff like encoding
> video: I've been transcoding episodes of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" from
> DVDs and each 30-minute episode takes about 10 minutes to resize and do
> 2-pass XviD encoding.

Ah bugger...=20

I got my laptop, it arrived this afternoon. No-one was home when Amtrak=20
attempted to deliver at 11:32, but they tried again after 16:00, and saved =
me=20
having to goto Hayes tomorrow to pick it up (Which would have been=20
difficult... I forgot the car was in for a service tomorrow).

So. I opened & started the windows just enough to say 'No I don't accept yo=
ur=20
license'. Took photos etc. Now to blow it away & install something decent o=
n=20
it.

Booted into the BIOS menus. Disabled the trackpad (Useless thing)
Sadly, the debian netinst for debian.31r3.amd64 doesn't boot... It seems to=
=20
have problems with ACPI (Hangs after the 'ACPI: Found ECDT' message).=20

But the i386 31r4 netinst iso does boot...=20

I'll post more as I get further... Nice looking piece of kit though... I li=
ke=20
the Titanium...