[ltp] Re: 64-bit Linux on core-2-duo's?

Macskasi Csaba linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 12:11:54 +0100

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 11:30:26 +0100, Hamie <hamish@travellingkiwi.com>
wrote:

> On Monday 27 November 2006 19:10, Evgeni Golov wrote:
>> On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 18:59:51 +0000 Hamish wrote:
>> > Booted into the BIOS menus. Disabled the trackpad (Useless thing)
>> > Sadly, the debian netinst for debian.31r3.amd64 doesn't boot... It
>> > seems to have problems with ACPI (Hangs after the 'ACPI: Found ECDT'
>> > message).
>> >
>> > But the i386 31r4 netinst iso does boot...
>>
>> Try recent netinst for Etch, they have a much newer kernel and should
>> work better on new hardware.
>>

> Hmm.. Thanks for that. But where? All the links I can find are still
> 31r3 or
> 31r4 (Kernel 2.6.17 [and maybe others] seems to have a problem with the
> tg3
> driver).
>
> I'm not sure which kernel ubuntu was using, but the drums & non-working
> interface did my head in.
>
> I did get Knoppix working... Sort of... The DHCP client worked, but I
> was only
> receiving, and not sending... So I unloaded & re-loaded tg3, and set
> the  IP
> by hand, and hey presto. It worked... I have to see now if I can
> duplicate
> the feat.
So what is your problem? Boot knoppix, set up your network interface and
install debian manually using debootstrap from your favortite mirror.
After that you can chroot into your new debian system, install the
necessary packages (gcc, binutils, make, lilo, libncurses5-dev etc.) and
compile your own vanilla kernel.
You do not have to mess around with the debian installer!

Regards,
Csaba

--
Macskasi Csaba