[ltp] External monitor

Wed, 29 Nov 2006 16:51:17 +0200

--r5Pyd7+fXNt84Ff3

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 11:07:48AM +0100, credito@gmx.de wrote:
> I have a T42 with Debian unstable installed. A while ago I
> successfully configured my thinkpad to use an external monitor/beamer.
> I haven't used it for a while and after some debian unstable upgrades
> (My guess is the step from xorg 7.0 to 7.1) this feature is broken.=20
>=20
> If I boot the thinkpad with external display attached it works fine.
> But I cannot get the display working once X is running and I attach
> the external display. Fn-F7 doesn't do the trick. However I noticed
> that the monitor receives some kind of signal but does not display
> anything.=20
>=20
> Xorg.conf snippet: =20
>=20
> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier	"ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobilit=
y 7500]"
> 	Driver		"ati"
> 	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"
> 	VideoRam	32000
> 	Option		"UseFBDev"		"false"
> 	Option      "SWcursor" "true"
>         Option      "DRIReinit" "true"
>         Option      "AGPMode" "4"
>         Option      "BIOSHotkeys" "true"=20

Add

>         Option      "MergedFB" "true"=20

It that still doesn't help, add

        Option          "CRT2HSync"     "30-80"
        Option          "CRT2VRefresh"  "59-75"

To get the real hsync/vrefresh ranges, restart X so that it can detect
the external monitor, then look them up from the EDID info in the
Xorg.0.log.

If you're interested, my xorg.conf is here: http://mg.pov.lt/xorg.conf.
I have the same laptop with the same Radeon 7500 video card.  I also
often use a dual-head desktop.  I can switch between 1024x768 clone mode
and full dual-head 1024x768+1280x1024 at runtime with

  xrandr -s 0
  xrandr -s 1024x768

HTH,
Marius Gedminas
--=20
"Linux: the operating system with a CLUE... Command Line User Environment".
(seen in a posting in comp.software.testing)

--r5Pyd7+fXNt84Ff3

--r5Pyd7+fXNt84Ff3--