[ltp] Tracking down a EC firmware bug (fan reading)

Tue, 3 Oct 2006 11:00:41 -0300

On Tue, 03 Oct 2006, Enrico Tröger wrote:
> I think it has the bug. I patched my kernel(2.6.18 vanilla) module with
> your three-step-patch and it was loaded with experimental=1.
>
> After booting, cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan reports the following:
> status:         disabled
> speed:          3439
> commands:       enable, disable
>
> So, my Thinkpad has the bug?

Yes, the fan is running isn't it?

> What do you mean with "auto mode", where to check it?

Please read http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_control_fan_speed for more
information.  Your ThinkPad is normally in either "auto" or fan level 7,
depending on the ACPI DSDT deciding that there is a critical thermal limit
being approached or not.

Thanks for the report!

  Henrique Holschuh