[ltp] Java Zombies

Wed, 4 Oct 2006 15:29:36 -0300

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006, Martin Lorenz wrote:
> I run a java app for a while, stop it, start it, do things with it
> (development tasks...) and suddenly java becomes defunct.
>
> all running java processes are zombies and no trick will kill them. java gui
> stays onscreen but doesen't refresh.
>
> and, even more strange: while CPUs stay at about 2 to 8% activity load
> increases. it's at 7 now after around 2 minutes

Your kernel is hosed, and filesystems might be too.  This is very very bad,
get a memtest boot image, check the memory, then get a simple kernel that is
thrustworthy into the machine (no patches and no proprietary drivers that
taint the kernel), and do a complete filesystem check on all filesystems.

> [ 2134.493000] thinkpad_ec: thinkpad_ec_request_row: bad end STR3: (0x11:0x00)->0x80

Not Good!  Remove thinkpad_ec for now on this machine.  We can work on that
angle later.

After you made sure your memory and filesystems are ok, try a kernel
*without suspend2* (known broken in some machines right now) and *without
tp_smapi* (your machine is not liking it).  See if that fixes the issues
you've observed, and report back...

  Henrique Holschuh