[ltp] T60p: Kernel patches required for suspend to ram?

Wed, 4 Oct 2006 15:35:49 -0300

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006, Kristian Berge Nessa wrote:
> Are there any kernel patches required for ACPI suspend to ram to work properly
> on a T60p running (vanilla) kernel 2.6.18, with SATA in 'Compability' mode?

Check http://thinkwiki.org, I'd expect people to have posted such patches
there...

> The machine seems to suspend fine, but on resume is left in a non-responding
> state where the 'suspended' (moon) indicator is still lit, but the HDD & fan
> is spun up. Nothing works except powering off.

Not even SysRQ (need sysrq support in the kernel to be active) ?

> And to top it off, Novell's SLED 10.1 works flawlessly wrt. ACPI
> suspend/resume on the same machine. But I'm a little too addicted to Debian
> to go that route just yet...

Let's try to find out what SuSE did :-)  These things are invaluable
information to get proper ThinkPad support into vanilla Linux...

> So, in essence, the question is: What magic have Suse done to their (2.6.15
> based) kernel in order for this to work, that is not yet in the mainline
> 2.6.18 kernel?

1. AHCI suspend/resume
2. ACPI support for SATA ACPI handles (those hit LKML very recently)
3. MSI/MSI-X fixes, PCI config space fixes (AFAIK, 2.6.18 has those)

> I do suppose the 'AHCI patches' have no effect when I'm
> running 'Compatibility' mode, or am I wrong?

I am not sure... do you *have* AHCI support in the kernel? They won't matter
if, and only if, ata_piix is the *only* driver talking to the ICH7.

  Henrique Holschuh