[ltp] Re: Tracking down a EC firmware bug (fan reading)

Wed, 4 Oct 2006 15:52:47 -0300

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006, Marco Gaiarin wrote:
> HdMH>         Make sure you don't have any fan control scripts or anything else
> HdMH>         that might be writing to the fan control register!   This is *very*
>
> How i can be sure of this? I'm using a plain ubuntu 6.06, and i've not load
> the laptop-mode package.

Well, 'rgrep "/proc/acpi/ibm" /etc /usr/bin /usr/sbin'   should do it.

> report nothing. Suffices?

It helps, but I am not that well versed on Ubuntu to know for sure whether
or not they have ThinkPad fan control in their system or in a certain
package.  Debian doesn't.

> HdMH>         If you *know* for sure that your ThinkPad powers up in automatic
> HdMH>         fan control (i.e. it varies by itself the fan speed when it gets
> HdMH>         hotter, etc) -- AFAIK all ThinkPads do this, but... -- then you
> HdMH>         don't need to sleep to RAM.
>
> I'm pretty sure, but i've hear my T23 do some more noise in very rare case,
> as for kernel compilation (but 'm using the ubuntu kernel).

Ok.

> gaio@aurora:~$ cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
> status:         enabled
> speed:          0
> commands:       enable, disable

That would mean no bug, *if* we are certain that nothing wrote to the fan
control register.

  Henrique Holschuh