[ltp] Java Zombies

Martin Lorenz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 4 Oct 2006 21:25:50 +0200

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 03:29:36PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Oct 2006, Martin Lorenz wrote:
> > I run a java app for a while, stop it, start it, do things with it
> > (development tasks...) and suddenly java becomes defunct.
> >
> > all running java processes are zombies and no trick will kill them. java gui
> > stays onscreen but doesen't refresh.
> >
> > and, even more strange: while CPUs stay at about 2 to 8% activity load
> > increases. it's at 7 now after around 2 minutes
>
> Your kernel is hosed, and filesystems might be too.  This is very very bad,

is this what you mean by 'hosed'?
http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/H/hosed.html

I haven't run across this term before :-)

> get a memtest boot image, check the memory, then get a simple kernel that is
> thrustworthy into the machine (no patches and no proprietary drivers that
> taint the kernel), and do a complete filesystem check on all filesystems.

you make me shiver!
this is an almost brand new machine (purchased only a month ago)
and except for the java zombies and a loss of acpi events after suspend that
happened with an older kernel but noch anymore with this one I don't
experience errors that make me think of hardware defects

> > [ 2134.493000] thinkpad_ec: thinkpad_ec_request_row: bad end STR3: (0x11:0x00)->0x80
>
> Not Good!  Remove thinkpad_ec for now on this machine.  We can work on that
> angle later.

what does it try to tell me?

> After you made sure your memory and filesystems are ok, try a kernel
> *without suspend2* (known broken in some machines right now) and *without
> tp_smapi* (your machine is not liking it).  See if that fixes the issues
> you've observed, and report back...

ok...
I will go and bake a naked kernel now, but please give me some hints, what
makes you think it is THAT bad?
I am computer scientist myself but not a hardware nor a kernel hacker.
So I guess I will understand what you tell me even if I am probably not able
to fix it myself

thank you
gruss
  mlo