[ltp] T60p: Kernel patches required for suspend to ram?

Kristian Berge Nessa linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 5 Oct 2006 23:40:28 +0200

Onsdag 04 oktober 2006 20:35 skreiv Henrique de Moraes Holschuh:
> On Wed, 04 Oct 2006, Kristian Berge Nessa wrote:
> > Are there any kernel patches required for ACPI suspend to ram to work
> > properly on a T60p running (vanilla) kernel 2.6.18, with SATA in
> > 'Compability' mode?
>
> Check http://thinkwiki.org, I'd expect people to have posted such patches
> there...

Checked, I think I have tried most of what is described there, but to no
avail.

> > The machine seems to suspend fine, but on resume is left in a
> > non-responding state where the 'suspended' (moon) indicator is still lit,
> > but the HDD & fan is spun up. Nothing works except powering off.
>
> Not even SysRQ (need sysrq support in the kernel to be active) ?

No reaction to any "Magic" SysRQ sequence, or any other keyboard event for
that matter.

> > So, in essence, the question is: What magic have Suse done to their
> > (2.6.15 based) kernel in order for this to work, that is not yet in the
> > mainline 2.6.18 kernel?
>
> 1. AHCI suspend/resume
> 2. ACPI support for SATA ACPI handles (those hit LKML very recently)
> 3. MSI/MSI-X fixes, PCI config space fixes (AFAIK, 2.6.18 has those)

Assuming that: AHCI [1] is not needed; (I have a 'ahci' module, but it is not
loaded, and 'ata_piix' is the only one who talks to 'libata'),
and that 2.6.18 has the MSI/MSI-X [3] fixes,
only [2] remains (or so I thought...).

Further assuming that [2] referred to the "Return of the ACPI patches" as
posted by Kristen Accardi to linux-ide last thursday (2006-09-28);
these seems to have made it into the -mm3 patchset.

So I compiled a 2.6.18-mm3 kernel, but got exactly the same behaviour. :(

Will try more when I get the time, but have some customers to attend to for a
few days first... Any more pointers on the way are greatly appreciated (As
you probably can tell I'm an utter kernel newbie... I've been blessed/cursed
with too good Thinkpad support before, one could say... ;) ).

--

Mvh,
Kristian Berge Nessa

Cavatina Software AS