[ltp] [patch 08/11] ibm-acpi: extend fan status functions

Mon, 9 Oct 2006 12:27:50 -0300

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006, Shem Multinymous wrote:
> On 10/9/06, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@hmh.eng.br> wrote:
> >        4. Return speed: unknwon in disengaged mode
>
> This is slightly annoying when using the anti-pulsing hack, since the
> hack maintains a *roughly* correct tachometer register readout even
> during disengaged mode (since it invokes disengaged mode for just a
> few seconds at a time and RPM does not drift by much).
>
> With this patch, applets reading the tachometer when antipulse is
> being used will get "unknown" instead of a roughly correct value.
>
> But I guess it should be done anyway.

Yes, it should.

Instead of leaving the breakage in place, we can do other things, like
exporting an average fan speed over a 5s period or somesuch, which would not
be affected immediately by "unknown" readings.  As an extra "Average speed:"
value, of course.  Speed: stays as is.

I could also implement antipulse into ibm-acpi, but I have one strong reason
not to code the antipulse into the kernel driver: it *does* screw up with
operatinal procedures from IBM which (with the latest T40,T41,T42 firmware;
or a patched T43 firmware) are not buggy -- the fixed firmware does away
with all fan pulses but the unclog ones at fan startup, in my experience.

  Henrique Holschuh