[ltp] PS2 Mouse, USB socket: any hope?

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 9 Oct 2006 17:22:15 -0400

On Monday 09 October 2006 16:58, after a long battle with technology,
Laurent Gilson wrote:
> > Kindly tell me if there is any hope for using my PS2 Trackman
> > Marble+ mouse with a Thinkpad R50e, which only has USB sockets. I
> > have purchased a female PS2 to male USB connector. What do I put in
> > xorg.conf on Debian?
> It depends on the mouse. It will work if it can talk USB. If the
> mouse is not able to talk USB no PS2-USB adapter in the world will
> help.

EXPN "talk USB"?  ITYM "speak a PS/2ish protocol that the adapter can
parse and convert into a USB HID stream".  These adapters should handle
PS/2, IMPS/2, and EXPS/2, not sure about weird things like MouseManPS/2
or LogitechPS/2.  Anyhow, Dan, see col.portable for a longer and more
specific reply.

--
   Seemingly ordinary humans transform into rage-fueled sarcasm
   dispensers.  I love it!  --Patrick Shaughnessy