[ltp] FC5 install on T60 locks up

Whil Hentzen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 10 Oct 2006 09:40:38 -0500

 From 2006/7/28...

 > Trying to install Fedora Core 5 on a new T60 2623 D3U, 2 GB RAM. ATI
 > 7145. Hooked up to a essential port replicator.

I had pulled out the second DRAMM and the box worked fine. I switched
the DRAMMs and the box worked fine. But with both in, the machine would
lock up hard every time. So....

I sent the box back to IBM for repair. It was returned 48 hours later.
(Wow!)

The repair sheet said "BIOS/Embedded Controller updates were performed..."

I've now installed FC5 on the box and it's been running for a half day,
letting me dink around on the Internet (it's amazing all of the stuff
that's out there!). I did a complete update (downloaded and installed
860 MB of stuff) and nary a burp.

Case closed. Just thought I'd mention this for the archives in case
someone else runs into a similar problem.

And thx to those who offered ideas on what might be wrong!

Whil Hentzen
Milwaukee