[ltp] IBM/Lenovo policy on Linux ThinkPad support, vs. competition

Stefan Schmidt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 11 Oct 2006 18:38:25 +0200

--p8mP+8RrBGerSNjm

Hello.

On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 17:28, Shem Multinymous wrote:
>=20
> And no, we don't want meaningless "yes it boots" certifications [2]
> and buggy closed-source drivers [3]  that work only on a specific
> version of a specific Linux distribution. We do want to control our
> battery charging thresholds under Linux the same way Windows users
> can; and our fans to stop pulsing unnecessarily [4]; and active hard
> disk protection that actually works; and power saving for our GPUs;
> and disk upgrades that don't cause an "Error 2010" [5]. Browse
> ThinkWiki [6] and the list archives [7] for some more examples.
>=20
> Achieving this requires release of the relevant hardware
> specifications (or free and well-documented driver code), access to
> Lenovo engineers for reporting bugs, and the ability to create,
> maintain and enhance open source drivers without fear of Lenovo's
> legal battalion.

Full ACK.

Lenovo engineers has written linux drivers for hardware related parts
of ThinPads for their SLED campain. Why not merge this code and
information together with tp_smapi and perhaps ibm_acpi?

The linux thinkpad community is more then happy to help Lenovo
developing drivers and merge it into the main kernel tree.

regards
Stefan Schmidt

--p8mP+8RrBGerSNjm

--p8mP+8RrBGerSNjm--