[ltp] IBM/Lenovo policy on Linux ThinkPad support, vs. competition

Alfredo Matos linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 12 Oct 2006 10:03:12 +0100

Hi everyone,

Diwaker Gupta wrote:
>> Achieving this requires release of the relevant hardware
>> specifications (or free and well-documented driver code), access to
>> Lenovo engineers for reporting bugs, and the ability to create,
>> maintain and enhance open source drivers without fear of Lenovo's
>> legal battalion.
>>
>> But for starters, it would be nice to have someone at Lenovo who is
>> listening to the Linux ThinkPad developer community and has the power
>> to move things, just like Matt at Dell.
>>
>> I'm saying this as someone who has carried out kernel development for
>> Linux ThinkPad support, and who has contacted Lenovo support (in vain)
>> about such issues. I believe I am speaking for many in the community
>> of Linux ThinkPad developers and users.
>
> Hear, hear! Very well put Shem, thanks!
>
> +1
>
> Diwaker

Also +1. Full ack.

Last time i detected something wrong with my acpi stuff, i sent a mail
to ibm/lenovo, with the problems, and all i got, was "this product does
not support linux". To wich i replied that acpi bugs are not just linux
related.  And i got a beautiful response of something like "if it has a
problem, take it to your vendor".

So i think the requests linux thinkpad users make, are more than
reasonable. Hence my +1.

Best regards,

Alfredo Matos