[ltp] [patch 00/11] ibm-acpi: extended thermal and fan support

Thu, 12 Oct 2006 09:09:24 -0400

On 10/11/06, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@hmh.eng.br> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> > - At least some of the functions will sooner or later move into a more
> >   genric handling inside the linux kernel. Examples are dock (mostly
> >   done), bay (on the way) and brightness (just saw a patch on lkml).
> >   I think your patches are a good solution for now. On long term some
> >   thoughts about fan handling on different machines good be
> >   interesting.
>
> On medium term, all ibm-acpi procfs will be deprecated and sent to the
> bitbuck where it belongs.  A new sysfs interface will be needed.  At that
> time, anything that has a generic interface should be migrated to the
> generic interface.
>
> We also have the led interface (for the ThinkLight, and other thinkpad
> leds).  We could also extend the entire thermal sensor code to generate
> artificial thermal zones (if this won't make the rest of the ACPI subsystem
> go berserk and won't violate the ACPI spec), etc.  There's a lot of work to
> do.
>
> > - As I heard so often, sysfs is the future. Just make clear on your
> >   submit that you are willing to port to sysfs, if neccessary.
>
> I am *itching* to trash-dump procfs and port ibm-acpi entirely to sysfs.
> But Borislav would not appreciate the patch flood.  We need to wait until he
> appoints a new maintainer, I think.

He has an open request for a maintainer.  If you'd like it you could
probably have it.  BTW, I've analyzed the s30 dsdt and figured out how
to add support for ibm-acpi, but I've just been to busy to make a
patch.  If anyone is interested in the dsdt, it's here:
http://www.botchco.com/alex/s30.dsdt

Alex