[ltp] Re: IBM/Lenovo policy on Linux ThinkPad support, vs. competition

Andrew J. Barr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:39:08 -0400

On Thursday 12 October 2006 13:36, Pavel Machek wrote:
> I think it is sad. Lenovo tries to paint itself as a friend of linux
> (hey, here are our binary modules)... while doing big damage to linux
> community (binary only modules!).. and also probably doing illegal
> thing (GPL violation)...

What drives me especially crazy is the tendency to secrecy, even when there is
no reason that those modules should be proprietary. It's a secret just
because, or because the lawyers can't understand why it should be open
source.

> Lenovo, can you release specifications, instead of crappy binary
> modules?

Surely someone at Lenovo/IBM is aware of this thread by now (hey we get their
Outlook vacation messages from time to time) but they haven't said anything.
Not a good sign. :(

Who'd have thought: Dell of all companies being the one to say, "hey, you
found a BIOS bug? Drop us a line!"

--
Andrew Barr

Now playing: The Police - Roxanne