[ltp] suspend2 and docking station USB problem report

David Abrahams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:29:38 -0400

I've been using the 2.6.18 kernel (with built-in docking station
support) with suspend2 patches.  I've noticed that when resuming from
disk with the T60p in the Advanced Mini-dock and USB devices connected
to the dock's USB ports, suspend2 tries to put the USB devices into a
suspended state so the machine can continue where it left off, but
those devices fail to suspend (or they fail to report that they've
suspended).  Suspend2 then forces a segfault and a normal boot cycle
proceeds.  Very often the machine doesn't come back from this boot in a
very good state and needs to be rebooted again -- the suspended state
is lost.

I've been in touch with Nigel Cunningham, the Suspend2 maintainer, who
makes a pretty good case that the problem is in the kernel USB support
and not in suspend2.  I've reported the problem to the kernel docking
station support maintainer listed in the kernel's MAINTAINERS file,
but haven't heard anything back.

If anyone would like to suggest other places to report this (or
better, just point the appropriate people at this post), I'd be
grateful.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting