[ltp] Re: IBM/Lenovo policy on Linux ThinkPad support, vs. competition

Shem Multinymous linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 13 Oct 2006 02:12:08 +0200

On 10/13/06, Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> wrote:
>  Bug: Fan control loop status is not initialized
>
>     * Severity: low
>
> Ugly, but not important and workaround is known.

The workaround is "don't report fan status until the user has
destructively overriden the last setting written by the DSDT".

>  Bug: Fan control loop pulses the fan in an annoying pattern
>
>     * Severity: low
>
> Ugly, and apparently fixed on new machines, and not too important.

It's definitely there on my 1 year old ThinkPad T43.

And personally I'd rate it as "Severety: high" -- the periodic whining
noise is a highly effective form of water tortute. Similar sentiments
have been expressed by others. And this specific problem did merit a
BIOS fix back in the IBM days.

>  Bug: Tachometer registers not invalidated in disengaged mode
>
>     * Severity: low
>
> Well, they never told you what the interface is, so...

Yes, except it's necessary for the software workaround to the previous bug...

  Shem