[ltp] Re: IBM/Lenovo policy on Linux ThinkPad support, vs. competition

Pavel Machek linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 13 Oct 2006 00:27:00 +0200

Hi!

> >I do not think they will say anything :-(. We are talking at wrong
> >level.
>
> So it would seem. The lack of propagation to the right levels is,
> well, an interesting property of corporate culture.
>

> >I have (had?) such contacts in HP... I expect I could get "hey, this
> >is bios bug" contacts at IBM,
>
> Good, let's start with these:
> http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Embedded_Controller_Firmware#Firmware_issues
> + linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org .

 Bug: Advanced battery query causes EC hang
    * Severity: critical

Heh, no, it is not critical (you have to be root and to use
unpublished interface to crash the machine, big deal), and because it
is already being fixed... IBM apparently knows about it, no need to
tell them once more. Of course they will not fix it for models they no
longer care about...

 Bug: Fan control loop status is not initialized

    * Severity: low

Ugly, but not important and workaround is known.

 Bug: Fan control loop pulses the fan in an annoying pattern

    * Severity: low

Ugly, and apparently fixed on new machines, and not too important.

 Bug: Tachometer registers not invalidated in disengaged mode

    * Severity: low

Well, they never told you what the interface is, so... Yes, it would
be nice to fix, but no, it is not important.

If these are their most severe problems... I'd say they are doing
pretty good :-).

[Yep, I agree all of these are misfeatures, and probably worth fixing
for new models... but this is not enough to poke ibm in a big way.]
								Pavel