[ltp] Re: IBM/Lenovo policy on Linux ThinkPad support, vs. competition

Nate Bargmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 13 Oct 2006 06:30:57 -0500

* Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@hmh.eng.br> [2006 Oct 12 21:28 -0500]:

> If I could bug someone at IBM about one single firmware bug, the fan noise
> one *would* be it.

Why should IBM care?  They don't do Thinkpads anymore.  They sold that
to Lenovo a couple of years back.

Sadly, Lenovo's policy seems to be the same as the other low-budget
offerings--make it "good enough" to sell and then forget about it once
the next model comes out.  So long as it works with the "recommended"
OS, their job is done.

I had a T-42 a year ago that was essentially flawless.  I think that
was the last IBM designed and built model.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"