[ltp] buying a new Thinkpad

Sat, 14 Oct 2006 14:46:33 +0300

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 09:41:16PM +0200, Frank Dekervel wrote:
> i'm considering buying a new Thinkpad, and i wonder how the current think=
pads=20
> do with linux...
> my first priority is getting the best support under linux. I'd like to
> 	- have a good battery life. my current thinkpad draws way too much power=
 when
> 	  in suspend-to-ram - well known problem it seems - ,

A kernel upgrade could fix that.

(Or break it again -- I've upgraded to Ubuntu Edgy, and my laptop started
consuming about 2--2.5 Watt while suspended.  I'm sure it was under 1 Watt
when I had Dapper.)

>         and battery life is now=20
> 	  under 1hour (i have a 2.5 year old R51).

A new battery could fix that ;)

My T42 has a 6 cell 47510 mWh battery.  It was good for about 3 hours
of normal use when it was new (with WiFi on, Bluetooth off, CPU
frequency scaling and laptop-mode enabled -- basically what Ubuntu
installs by default).

The battery is now almost 2 years old and has about 88% original
capacity (41870 mWh).

>         i heard intel gfx cards draw less=20
> 	  power than ati ones. don't know if it's true.
> 	- good gfx support : i don't need 3D , but i need to hook up a second sc=
reen
> 	  under high resolution or a projector frequently (without restarting X,=
=20
> 	  so xrandr is a requirement for me).

I do that with my ATI Radeon 7500 (open-source drivers).

I sometimes wish I had an Intel graphics card.  Other times I wonder how
much of that open-source-goodness acclaim is pure hype (my coworker has
an x40 with an Intel card, IIRC, and he had more problems attaching an
external monitor/projector than I did).

> 	  i don't want to mess with binary drivers (except the nvidia ones).

I don't want to mess with any binary drivers, thank you very much.  I
had an nvidia card once.  Never again.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
I'm a shareware signature!  Send $2 if you use me, $10 for a manual.

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT--