[ltp] z60m w/ dead LCD after playing with xrandr

km linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 16 Oct 2006 23:09:21 +0200

Hello,

Today I connected an external Philips 190B5 LCD screen to my z60m and played
around with xorg and xrandr with clone and mergedfb at work. The internal
screen is the 1680x1050 one.

When I suspended to swap and then resumed the laptop at home the
internal LCD display was dead. The external VGA still works but Im not
getting any activity at all on the internal LCD.

No BIOS output, no output in vesa mode, no output in X.org. Radeontool
is unable to light the backlight and changing BIOS settings doesnt produce
any results. On top of that I think I've tried almost all variations and
settings in xorg for both the radeon and the fglrx driver.

>From Xorg I can also conclude that the LCD no longers gives any DPMS/DDC
data at all, ie "dead".

The only thing I've noticed is that it looks like the screen lights up
in _some_ xorg modes, but I cant see anything, just a faint light and perhaps
som weak horizontal lines. Other than that the screen is totally black, not
even a flicker when booting.

>From what I've gathered on the interweb this could be due to the power
inverter being broken but almost all reports I've seen of that indicates
that the screen should at least flicker or give some kind of light or a very
faint image.

Its still on warranty, but is there anything I could check before sending it
back to Lenovo with all the hassle that would involve?

Would it give anything to install Windows?

And could xrandr have been the cause of this?

-km