[ltp] z60m w/ dead LCD after playing with xrandr

Mon, 16 Oct 2006 17:18:21 -0400

On 10/16/06, km <km@grogg.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Today I connected an external Philips 190B5 LCD screen to my z60m and played
> around with xorg and xrandr with clone and mergedfb at work. The internal
> screen is the 1680x1050 one.
>
> When I suspended to swap and then resumed the laptop at home the
> internal LCD display was dead. The external VGA still works but Im not
> getting any activity at all on the internal LCD.
>
> No BIOS output, no output in vesa mode, no output in X.org. Radeontool
> is unable to light the backlight and changing BIOS settings doesnt produce
> any results. On top of that I think I've tried almost all variations and
> settings in xorg for both the radeon and the fglrx driver.
>
> From Xorg I can also conclude that the LCD no longers gives any DPMS/DDC
> data at all, ie "dead".

FWIW, very few laptops provide DDC information about the panel (only a
few old apple powerbooks).  Most laptops have to query the panel
information from the video bios.

> The only thing I've noticed is that it looks like the screen lights up
> in _some_ xorg modes, but I cant see anything, just a faint light and perhaps
> som weak horizontal lines. Other than that the screen is totally black, not
> even a flicker when booting.
>
> From what I've gathered on the interweb this could be due to the power
> inverter being broken but almost all reports I've seen of that indicates
> that the screen should at least flicker or give some kind of light or a very
> faint image.
>
> Its still on warranty, but is there anything I could check before sending it
> back to Lenovo with all the hassle that would involve?
>
> Would it give anything to install Windows?
>
> And could xrandr have been the cause of this?

Doubtful, all xrandr does is change the mode on one or more crtcs.
That said, stranger things have happened.

Alex