[ltp] Re: z60m w/ dead LCD after playing with xrandr

km linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 17 Oct 2006 17:01:25 +0200

On 17/10, Richard Neill wrote:

> km wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >Today I connected an external Philips 190B5 LCD screen to my z60m and
> >played
> >around with xorg and xrandr with clone and mergedfb at work. The internal
> >screen is the 1680x1050 one.
> >
> >When I suspended to swap and then resumed the laptop at home the
> >internal LCD display was dead. The external VGA still works but Im not
> >getting any activity at all on the internal LCD.
>
> Just to check - have you tried restarting from a cold boot? You didn't
> actually say that you have.

Yes I did, several times, since I've previously noticed lockups in the
video hardware (not on this machine though) that a cold boot fixed.

> >No BIOS output, no output in vesa mode, no output in X.org. Radeontool
> >is unable to light the backlight and changing BIOS settings doesnt produce
> >any results. On top of that I think I've tried almost all variations and
> >settings in xorg for both the radeon and the fglrx driver.
> >
> >>From Xorg I can also conclude that the LCD no longers gives any DPMS/DDC
> >data at all, ie "dead".
> >
> >The only thing I've noticed is that it looks like the screen lights up
> >in _some_ xorg modes, but I cant see anything, just a faint light and
> >perhaps
> >som weak horizontal lines. Other than that the screen is totally black, not
> >even a flicker when booting.
> >
> >>From what I've gathered on the interweb this could be due to the power
> >inverter being broken but almost all reports I've seen of that indicates
> >that the screen should at least flicker or give some kind of light or a
> >very
> >faint image.
> >

> If the inverter is broken, then you should be able to see something if
> you look at the screen with a bright light.

I dont see anything at all. And If the inverter is broken then I guess
the LCD display would still report to x.org that it is there. As of now,
it is non-existent to the computer.

> >Its still on warranty, but is there anything I could check before sending
> >it
> >back to Lenovo with all the hassle that would involve?
>
> Try resetting the BIOS to defaults, and then booting with knoppix. That
> will give you a double check. But I'm pretty sure you've got toasted
> hardware - and it's likely to be coincidental, rather than something you
> actually did.
>

> >Would it give anything to install Windows?
>
> I'd be extremely surprised.

Might give me sudden attacks of rage :)

> >And could xrandr have been the cause of this?
> >

> I don't see how. X modelines could, a long time ago, damage very old
> (1990 era) CRTs. But that's about it.

Yes, that was my conclusion too and the only option I've used for the
screens are DPMS, no modelines. The only thing that I can think of that
might have put some kind of stress on the screen is quickly switching
between screens using xrandr and starting/stopping X.

Anyhow, I'm sending it to Lenovo for repairs tomorrow.