[ltp] buying a new Thinkpad

Wed, 18 Oct 2006 17:09:25 +0300

--5/uDoXvLw7AC5HRs

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 11:29:24PM +0200, Thomas Breitner wrote:
> my tp (t42p, radeon m10) 'drains' about 222 and 276 mW (according to the
> thinkwiki-powerdrain-measure-script).
> i do not unload any modules on this t42p, don't patch the
> linux-source-2.6.18 (debian) but compiled with experimental usb-suspend,
> do not shutdown x or any services, use radeonfb and xorg-radeon with
> r300-dri.
>=20
> does anybody knows what value is tolerable / 'designed' for suspend to
> ram?

Personally I would be happy with anything under 500 mW.  I think I used
to get 400 mW.  Currently I get 2000 mW, and it is barely enough to last
one day.

When I had this problem once before, my laptop used to consume 3600 mW
while suspended.  I couldn't use suspend at all, because it wouldn't
last overnight.  I solved the problem by patching the kernel and using
radeonfb.  Later the patch went upstream (or at least into Ubuntu) and
all was well.  Now all is no longer well, but at least not as bad as
before.  I still use radeonfb, but my syslog no longer shows it enabling
D2 sleep when I suspend:

  https://launchpad.net/bugs/65856

Marius Gedminas
--=20