[ltp] Alternative power supply for A31

Mendel Cooper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:16:19 -0700 (MST)

The power supply for my A31 TP is starting to get a little flaky (probably
bad contact on ground shield litz). So, I thought I'd try using a 770 TP
brick. Same connector and same 16-volt output voltage. Only difference
is that it has a lower power rating 3.36 amps, as opposed to 4.5 for
the original supply. That's 53.75 watts, instead of 72 watts. Seems
to me that even with 20 watts less, the A31 should still be within
the safety margin, especially if I don't have the battery installed,
so battery charging will not pull extra power from the AC supply.

When the machine is running from battery, it pulls something like
22 watts.  Even when you consider that the display is dimmed and the
CPU running slower under battery power, I would think that with full
display brightness and full CPU speed the machine should still consume
less than 40 watts. Plenty of safety margin on a 53+ watt supply.

Yeah, I could buy a standard 72-watt supply on eBay for about $20,
including shipping. And yeah, some eBay sellers warn against using a
54-watt supply because of possible damage to the computer, but I think
they're exaggerating in order to sell their stuff.

Anyhow, I've been running this A31 on the 54-watt supply for a few hours
now, and with no problems. Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks.