[ltp] T22 temperature

FeRD linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 20 Oct 2006 09:27:23 -0400

Don Perley wrote:
>> ANother route is google.  Just search on: 97 C in F
>> Yields: 97 degrees Celsius = 206.6 degrees Fahrenheit
Good tip, thanks. I'm not the type to Firefox up just to answer a simple
conversion question (I use dict(1) for definitions, too, because it's
got the answer back before GNOME can even remember what to do when I
click the Firefox icon) but I didn't know about that power of Google's
search engine... and I'm sure it will come in handy somewhere one day.

Richard Neill wrote:
>> I won't go into what units tries to do with 'degC' and 'degF' that
>> allowed me to trick myself into (not-)thinking I had generated the
>> proper conversions. The morbidly curious can always type 'help degC'
>> into a "You have:" prompt like I did. (If Larry Wall had written the
>> units definition file, at least that section would be preceded by a
>> "# Here be dragons" comment or similar warning. I want my brain back.)
>
> Ugh. That's horrid!  It's essentially saying that n degrees is not "n
> degrees above absolute zero", but "n steps along the scale". Have you
> filed a bug report?
I haven't, no. To be honest I don't plan to pursue it. The problem
doesn't fit my definition of a "bug" -- the software clearly works as
designed and documented. It's just a STUPID design. (Tho a well
documented stupid design!).

I'm pretty reluctant to file "Are you people ON CRACK?!?!" reports these
days, especially when I know I won't be able to devote time to champion
them, as is the case here. Anyone else who'd like to report the issue is
welcome to do so, and I'll happily swear an affidavit that I embarrassed
myself in front of 1000's of Linux geeks due to their tool's blinkered
"what-color-is-the-sky-in-your...?" worldview.   :)

-FeRD