[ltp] XRandR

Fri, 20 Oct 2006 16:27:59 -0400

> Scanning some recent mail on this list lead me (perhaps mislead me :-)
> to the conclusion that I could use xrandr to change my display
> configuration instead of restarting X.

xrandr 1.2 is still being hammered out.  Keith has some experimental
support in a branch of the intel driver, but that's it at the moment.
No other drivers have been fully ported yet, and the server code isn't
yet in a released X server.

> I've got a T42p and I run two different configurations almost daily:
>
> 1. A "dual monitor" setup when I'm sitting at my desk (I don't have a
>    docking station, it's just my laptop on my desk). At my desk I have
>    a 1600x1200 panel above my LCD, so I get a virtual 1600x2400
>    desktop:
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "ATI Technologies, Inc. M10 NT [FireGL Mobility T2]"
>         Driver          "ati"
>         BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
>         # ndw
>         Option          "MonitorLayout" "LVDS,CRT"
>         Option          "MergedFB"       "true"
>         Option          "CRT2HSync"      "32-91"
>         Option          "CRT2VRefresh"   "56-76"
>         Option          "CRT2Position"   "Above"
>         Option          "MetaModes" "1600x1200-1600x1200"
>         # /ndw
> EndSection
>
> 2. A "cloned" setup with only a single 1600x1200 desktop that I use
>    when I carry the laptop somewhere else in the house:
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "ATI Technologies, Inc. M10 NT [FireGL Mobility T2]"
>         Driver          "ati"
>         BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
>         # ndw
>         Option          "CRT2HSync"             "32-91"
>         Option          "CRT2VRefresh"          "56-76"
>         Option          "MonitorLayout"         "LVDS,CRT"
>         Option          "MetaModes"             "1600x1200-1600x1200"
>         # /ndw
> EndSection
>
> Actually, the clonedness is irrelevant and I'd be just as happy if it
> didn't send a signal to the external port at all in this case.
>
> Before I rebuilt my machine with Ubuntu Edgy Eft, I had a third config
> for presentations that was 1600x1200 on my LCD and 1024x768 on the
> external port. (Or at least that's what it was supposed to be, I can't
> actually prove it worked exactly like that, though it did work for
> presentations so I think it worked like that. Anyway, I haven't taken
> the time to rebuild that one yet.)
>
> Being able to switch between 1 and 2 without logging out and logging
> back in again would be quite nice.
>
> When I run xrandr it only shows one size:
>
> $ xrandr
>  SZ:    Pixels          Physical       Refresh
> *0   1600 x 2400   ( 542mm x 813mm )  *29307
> Current rotation - normal
> Current reflection - none
> Rotations possible - normal
> Reflections possible - none

that's the only mode you specified.

> and attempting to request 1600x1200 reports "Size 1600x1200 not found
> in available modes"
>
> Fiddling with other things, like rotation, report X Errors.
>
> User error? Anyone have a clue stick handy?

try this:
replace the metamodes option in your first config with this:
       Option          "MetaModes" "1600x1200-1600x1200 1600x1200"
that will give you one dualhead mode and one clone mode.  You can also
add some other things to the mix:
       Option          "MetaModes" "1600x1200-1600x1200 1600x1200 1024x768"
will give you one dualhead and two clone modes and:
       Option          "MetaModes" "1600x1200-1600x1200 1600x1200
1600x1200+1024x768"
will give you one dualhead, one same size clone and one mixed size clone.

Alex