[ltp] How to improve battery life on Thinkpad X60s

Ari El linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 20 Oct 2006 18:44:59 -0700 (PDT)

John Fremlin-2 wrote:

> Martin Aumueller <aumuell@reserv.at> writes:
>
>> See below what Florian Reitmair wrote on the matter a couple of days ago
>> (6.
>> Sep) on this mailing list. Search the archive (e.g. at
>> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-thinkpad&r=1&w=2) for viewing the
>> whole
>> thread.
>
> Thanks for the link. However, as all the devices he was tuning to
> lower the power of were disabled in my configuration it does not help
> -- except perhaps for CPU undervolting, but I doubt that MS Windows
> does this?
>
> I am curious to discover which component it is that MS Windows can
> power down and Linux cannot. It feels like whatever is under the "IBM"
> logo on the right hand side of the fingerprint reader.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> [...]
> --

did you find out the cause of the heat below to the logo? I was wondering if
winxp is undervolting the cpus. Or something else. I asked the dev of
linux-phc and he is more of the opinion on winxp not undervolting but
lowering the FSB freq or something else. I keep wondering about this and a
bit disappointed with  battery life under linux for my x60s.
i keep looking for solutions, and a bit ashamed of using winxp because of
the amazing 8h to 9h i get (just word processor), myself beeing a linux fan.