[ltp] Re: [Patch 1/2] ibm-acpi: LED Subsystem integration.

Stefan Schmidt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:23:07 +0200

--ReaqsoxgOBHFXBhH

Hello.

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 05:34, Shem Multinymous wrote:
>=20
> On 10/23/06, stefan@datenfreihafen.org <stefan@datenfreihafen.org> wrote:
> >This patch integrates the led and thinklight feature of ibm-acpi into th=
e=20
> >LED
> >subsystem.
>=20
> Great! This is very much needed.

Thanks.

> Building up synthetic command strings and then parsing them is not
> very appropriate for kernel code. Imagine what it will look like when
> the textual proc interface is eventually removed. A better solution is
> to provide clean low-level functions with a normal interface (e.g.,
> "set_led(int lednum, int ledstate)"), and have both the sysfs and proc
> code use those low-level functions.

Indeed using this strings, especially with the needed ',' at the end,
are ugly. I even thought about such a new function, but feared to
change to much internals.

I considered such a change for the patch which removes the proc
interface for led. Which of course needs to be written. ;)

Anyway, I see if I can came up with a patch for it this week.

Thanks for your feedback.

regards
Stefan Schmidt

--ReaqsoxgOBHFXBhH