[ltp] [patch 11/12][2.6.18] ibm-acpi: workaround for EC 0x2f initialization bug

Shem Multinymous linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 24 Oct 2006 02:31:55 +0200

On 10/24/06, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@hmh.eng.br> wrote:
> > How about this conservative but more useful variant?
> > If the fan level register reads 0x07, don't touch it (it's either a
> > DSDT emergency, or the boot bug, or a someone who's doing manual
> > control anyway and can run "level auto" instead).
> > Otherwise set it to 0x80.
>
> I could make it "if it is zero, set it to 0x80, otherwise leave it alone",

No, that could leave it forced to (say) level 1.
I'm thinking of "enable" as "Hi! I'm a legacy app or a naive user and
don't know what I'm doing. Please make sure my CPU doesn't fry but
don't make a mess about it." My variant seems to answer this
reasonably.

  Shem