[ltp] ipw2200 + Intel Pro Wireless 2915 a/b/g: "ipw2200: Firmware error detected. Restarting."

Bert Haskins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:39:22 -0400

--------------020705050404080202050905

Joerg Platte wrote:

>Am Mittwoch, 25. Oktober 2006 16:09 schrieb fire-eyes:
>

>>I am having a very irritating problem with the wireless driver and card
>>above. Sometimes, but not all the times, it gets into this phase where
>>the wireless drops, comes back, drops, comes back (etc) and eventually I
>>start seeing this in kernel logs:
>>
>>ipw2200: Firmware error detected.  Restarting.
>>

>I have the same problem only when receiving data with maximum speed (for
>example on local ftp transfers). Then the driver restarts the card and this
>happens until the throughput decreases. Maybe a buffer in the card overflows
>when data is not read immediately by the driver...
>
>regards,
>Jörg

Note, the following is when using wpa_supplicant on A22M, A30, A31, and
A31P boxes..
I too seem to have to play "wireless roulette" with the ipw2200 when
running with Fedora core 4,5,6
with several different kernels.
Often right after bootup iwconfig will show dev(long random number) when
it should be eth1.
When this happens the wireless is hosed and I must reboot and try again.
When this does come up and show eth1 everything seems to be OK.

The strange part though is that this "just works" under Ubundu dapper,
there does not seem to be
any issues.

--------------020705050404080202050905

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Joerg Platte wrote:<br>
  <pre wrap="">Am Mittwoch, 25. Oktober 2006 16:09 schrieb fire-eyes:
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">I am having a very irritating problem with the wireless driver and card
above. Sometimes, but not all the times, it gets into this phase where
the wireless drops, comes back, drops, comes back (etc) and eventually I
start seeing this in kernel logs:

ipw2200: Firmware error detected.  Restarting.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
I have the same problem only when receiving data with maximum speed (for
example on local ftp transfers). Then the driver restarts the card and this
happens until the throughput decreases. Maybe a buffer in the card overflows
when data is not read immediately by the driver...

regards,
J&ouml;rg</pre>
Note, the following is when using wpa_supplicant on A22M, A30, A31, and
A31P boxes..<br>
I too seem to have to play "wireless roulette" with the ipw2200 when
running with Fedora core 4,5,6<br>
with several different kernels.<br>
Often right after bootup iwconfig will show dev(long random number)
when it should be eth1.<br>
When this happens the wireless is hosed and I must reboot and try again.<br>
When this does come up and show eth1 everything seems to be OK.<br>
The strange part though is that this "just works" under Ubundu dapper,
there does not seem to be <br>
any issues.<br>

--------------020705050404080202050905--