[ltp] Problem with password and BIOS

Andre Timmermann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 26 Oct 2006 12:37:31 +0200

Am Donnerstag, den 26.10.2006, 11:47 +0200 schrieb Guillermo Ju=E1rez:

> The IBM support center told me that I have to change the mother board.
>  But the main problem is that they don't want to believe that I
> configured inside the BIOS a supervisor password with comas.  They say
> that I have just forgotten it and therefore, they want to charge me
> the whole reparation which is very expensive.

Those Thinkpads offer a "feature" that could be a starting point. When
you wake it up via wake on lan, the password dialog disappears after
approx. 90 seconds and the system boots. When you load the module
"nvram" you get access to the bios itself, you can even write e new one
directly to the chip.

But be careful. I did not test writing to nvram myself, it is possible
to break it completely - the you have to change the mb.

Another hint:
http://www.google.com/search?q=3Dibm+thinkpad+bios+password
shows you a link to
http://www.bios-passwort.de/ibm_lenovo_bios_passwort.html=20
an the seem to offer a recovery service. Perhaps this is another
starting point.

Greetz and good luck,
Andre

--=20
When blondes have more fun, do they know it?