[ltp] X60s and other CoreDuos / Battery LIfe - Kernel/CPU freq scaling issue?

Ari El linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 29 Oct 2006 13:26:09 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

   I know this have been discussed many times already.

   You might want to check this post anyways:

http://www.nabble.com/thinkpad-x60-Battery-Life--%21-tf1971716.html#a7064764

    *maybe* there is an issue with either the L2400 CPU (and others,
reportedly) or the Kernel (dapper & edgy, at least). What I can tell for
sure is that setting powersave or performance governors (and fixing the
frequency to 1GHz or 1.6Ghz) produces no difference *at all* in the battery
power drain as reported by acpitool -B. I tested along many hours of use,
taking many measurements in different use cases.

    As mentioned in the thread, there is a tool that allows you to estimate
the CPU freq based on machine performance using different methods and this
tool always reports about 1.6x GHz even with governor set to powersave and
/proc/cpuinfo tells 1GHz, and the MSR register in the CPU reports the same.

    This could explain why so many people with new machines and dual boot
are complaining about the large battery life difference between linux and
xp.

    Maybe someone who understands the code can check out this tool and tell
if there is indeed a cpu or kernel bug with frequency scaling, or not really
(and explain the acpitool -B results!)

Thanks
Ari