[ltp] Batteries for R52

Tue, 31 Oct 2006 12:42:02 -0300

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006, Jaime Iniesta wrote:
> I need to buy a new battery for my R52. The old one is currently
> working but has not much capacity. I can't decide which one to buy:

Did you refresh it?  Charge it to full, and do a deep discharge (discharge
it until the embeded controller shuts the thinkpad off) twice in a row. Then
charge it to full again, and check its last_full_capacity reading to see if
it improved.

DO NOT DO THIS OFTEN.  Once or twice per battery pack *lifetime* is about
right :-)

It may give you up to 1000mAh back, if the problem is some battery
cristalization...  but this is an extremely optimistic scenario.

> The first one has 4800 mAh, is cheaper and weights 300 grams. The
> second one has 7200 mAh, is more expensive and has a weight of 500
> grs.

It also sticks out ~1.5cm from the back of a T43, I suppose it will do the
same in a R52.

> I would buy the second one if it lasts considerably more, but I don't
> like its weight. Do you think it's worth it? Does it really last much
> more than the first one?

The 9-cell battery does indeed last 150% (i.e. 50% more) than the 6-cell
one.   If your 6-cell used to last 2h when new, the 9-cell will last for
about 3h when new.

  Henrique Holschuh