[ltp] Disable PC speaker "emergency" sounds (R40)

Georg Sauthoff linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 19:11:51 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

there is one thing which really bothers me with my Thinpad R40
2722 notebook. That are the pc-speaker-like system "emergency"
sounds. I mean this full-volume sound when the the batterey gets
low (battery led flashes) or the high-volume *beep* if you
suspend-to-ram or resume.

While this is just annoying, if you have not muted the speakers
(via the keyboard), it is really dangerous, if you are sitting in
a train and listen to some music via headphones.

Currenlty I am using ACPI under linux, before APM, but it looks
like some bios is responsible for those sounds. Besides the danger
to damage the auditory system, the visual feedback is enough for
me.

Does anyone have an idea how disable these 'emergency/system'
sounds? Is there a pc-speaker-connector at the motherboard,
which I can unplug?

Best regards
Georg Sauthoff