[ltp] Disable PC speaker "emergency" sounds (R40)

b42 linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 31 Oct 2006 20:58:29 +0100

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 19:31:23 +0000
Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> b42 wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > had the same problem with my R60 - I use headphones most of the
> > time and every time the speaker beeped (quite often with bash
> > filename completion) I thought my head would explode ...
>
> Edit /etc/inputrc
>     set show-all-if-ambiguous on
>

> Bash completion is now much more helpful, and beeps far less often.
> You might even re-enable the beep, since it is now more relevant. The
> only distro that gets this right by default is Mandrake.
>
> Also, make sure you have the advanced bash-completion enabled
> (usually, by sourcing /etc/bash_completion in your. bashrc)
>

> Lastly, if using Konsole, you can configure the beep to be either a
> visible bell, or play a sound of your choice, or run a command. Run a
> command such as
>     sox -v 0.5  beep.wav - | aplay
> * Use sox, because it is much more rapid than Arts.
> * -v 0.5 to reduce the volume.
> * aplay, in order to use dmix, so multiple apps can share the
> soundcard.
>
> HTH
>
> Richard

Thanks for suggestions, but I think I'll keep the beeper turned off at
kernel level ... i'm happy that it didn't make a single beep since i
disabled it:) and even if it weren't so annoying i'm used to work
without the audible bell.